Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Helmet

Pretty Princess had colic and until about the age of 3 months she wouldn't sleep AT ALL unless she was swaddled.
"The Burrito"

Well all that spending time on her back caused quite the flat spot on her noggin. :( We started noticing it about the time she turned 2 months. The Dr. has been watching it and at her 4 month sent us to see if she needed a helmet. They told us to keep her off her head as much as possible. Pretty much the only time she is on the back of her head now is if she is asleep and has positioned herself that way. We have even been taking her to physical therapy to try to help as well. We recently took her back, and despite our best efforts, it hasn't gotten that much better. It isn't an extreme case and we were told that the flat spot wouldn't hurt her development but that they suggested we go ahead and do it. Since we don't want her coming to us later on in life wondering why we didn't get it fixed we have decided to go ahead with it. So once everything is cleared with our insurance Kayla will be sporting one of these 23 hours a day for the next 3 months or so...

I am not going to lie. I REALLY don't like the fact that she will have to wear it but I also know that this is what is best for our sweet baby. We are praying that combining the helmet with physical therapy will speed the process along.

There are a lot of things that I am thankful for during this whole thing. The flat spot won't cause any development problems. Her case isn't really bad so she won't have to wear it as long as some babies do. I am thankful that God has allowed me to be a stay at home mommy because we will probably have to go in a few times a month to make adjustments. I am thankful for our insurance. We are blessed to have amazing insurance that is going to take care of the cost of most of this. And I am VERY thankful that Pretty Princess won't remember any of this. I know how mean kids can be and as much as it brakes my heart now that she has to have it I am thankful she isn't older.

No comments: