Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kayla's Birth

I was due with Kayla July 4th, 2010. She didn't like the idea of sharing her birthday with a holiday I guess because she refused to come out! We went for walk after walk after walk. I drank red raspberry tea. I ate spicy food...which I hate. I ate egg plant Parmesan. I did everything that I could think of to get the girl out but she wasn't coming! My Dr. scheduled us to come in the night of July 8th and then start pitocin the next morning. Well, the morning of the 8th I started having major back pain so I moved from the bed to the couch in the living room at about 6am. I didn't really think anything of it until I realized the back pain was coming every 7 minutes or so. See, I never really had any contractions before that so I didn't know what to expect. I took a shower and then woke up David to tell him I thought I was in labor. I called the hospital and they told me to call back when the were 5 minutes apart. We went to Chic-fil-a and had some breakfast at about 8:30 and then went and walked around Penn Square Mall. There aren't many people at the mall that early but I am pretty sure the ones that were wondered if they were going to have to deliver a baby. Contractions HURT! By 9:30 my contractions were every 5 minutes apart so we called back and they told us to come in. Praise Jesus!
We got there and got checked in. The nurse checked me and I was at a 2. This was progress for me b/c I hadn't dilated at all until that morning. Kayla's heart was kind of doing funny things so I was told even if I wasn't in active labor yet I would be staying. By 11 I had gotten my IV, my Dr. had broken my water and I had gotten my epidural. I was going to try to make it to a 4 but once I realized they would give it to me whenever I wanted it I frantically said, YES PLEASE!

Ahhh, that's better! Pretty sure I LOVE epidural's.
Things kind of calmed down after that. I stopped progressing very much and had only made it to a 3 a few hours later. Kayla's heart was still doing funny things so they gave me pitocin to see if they could speed up labor. Well Kayla didn't like that so they eventually had to stop pitocin. My Dr. said she was going to go deliver some twins and she would come back so we could discuss what we wanted to do. I think I kind of knew when I wasn't progressing that I was going to end up with a c-section. Pretty much the second she walked out of the room Kayla's heart rate dropped to the point that it wasn't registering on the monitor. Longest moment of our lives I think. David was just about to go get the nurse when my Dr. came back in and said she had just seen the same thing on the nurses computer and that she thought we needed to go ahead and get her out. The next few minutes were a blur. They took David to change into scrubs and I was wheeled down the hall. They gave me more medicine and suddenly I was numb from my neck down. Weird! They took me into surgery and got me moved onto the surgical bed and draped me for surgery. I think that was when the tears started coming. I tried to hide them but when you can't move any part of your body it is kind of hard. I don't really think that I was scared, just overwhelmed. It all happened so fast! David was able to come in then and it made me feel better having him next to me. Before I knew it she was out...screaming her little head off! She was fine. Her chord had just gotten wrapped around her leg and arm. The pressure from contractions was putting pressure on her and causing her heart rate to drop.



My inlaws had gotten there a little bit earlier from Arkansas but were on their way to get something to eat when David had to tell them to come back. I didn't even get to see my parents before I went back. They got their moments after I was wheeled in for surgery. Everyone was waiting for me as I was wheeled out. I was very groggy but thankful our baby girl was alright! I finally got to hold her for the first time about an hour later. One of the best moments of my life.

It didn't exactly go the way we had planned but I am thankful that our baby made it here safe and sound. She is our perfect little gift from God!

No comments: